Attending WCAF 2011 in Las Vegas
West Coast Art & Framing) is just around the corner, and we thought we would take a moment to remind everyone of all the advantages of attending this annual framing show held at the Las Vegas Hilton Hotel, January 24th – 26th (Note: workshops/classes begin on Sunday, January 23rd).
If you don’t have a booth, you should still come to explore the show floor, as there are many benefits to simply being there and being seen. Remember, the more you educate yourself about who is out there and what they are offering, the more prepared you will be for your customer’s questions, requests, and for potential changes in the industry. Ultimately, as your awareness, knowledge, and contacts increase, the more effective you will become with your future business maneuvers.
Some benefits to simply wandering the framing show floor:
1. Opportunity to Meet Framing and Art Suppliers – there are probably people you have been working with for years that you have never personally met. Note: this is a great opportunity to either meet those you are working with, or encounter new suppliers that you might enjoy working with in the future.
2. View New Framing Products and Technology – there may be some new products that could enhance your business and/or cut down your production time.
General Networking – seeing and being seen have already been discussed, along with meeting suppliers, but how about talking with everyone you possibly can? You never know what types of information, opportunities, and/or formed relationships can arise from simply striking up a conversation with someone next to you at the show.
4. Framing and Art Trend Observation – are you keeping up with what is going on in the world of framing? Is there a possibility you could lose business if you are not keeping up with certain styles & techniques that are currently trending?
Taking framing workshops/classes are yet another big part of the show and offer unique opportunities to:
1. Play and Satisfy Curiosity – maybe you don’t currently offer hand-crafted carving through your shop, but decide it may be fun to take a wood carving workshop just to give it a try (you may surprise yourself and find you are a natural at something you never imagined).
2. Learn and Develop New Art Skills – if we don’t use it, we tend to lose it, and it also may be time to pick up a skill that has become a necessity due to increased demand.
3. Explore the Business of Running a Frame Shop – including eveything from framing pricing, marketing, web site development, etc.
This is a great opportunity to learn around like-minded people who may also need help in these areas, and to discover how other framers are doing their job more effectively.
Lastly, the show is in Las Vegas, so among all the listed reasons for going, it’s generally hard not to have a good time during your “off” time.
Foster Planing Mill at WCAF 2011 Yes, we will be there with bells on in booth #1200 (our regular location). We are sponsoring select workshops this year, such as “Creating Custom Finishes on Wood”, which is offered on Monday, January 24th from 2-5pm. We also plan to have various painting & staining demonstrations at our booth throughout the duration of the show, so please stop by, say hello, sign up for our raffle to win a free workshop, talk with us about the variety of profiles we offer, as well as woods on display, and be sure to enjoy this amazing and informative event! For more information, visit the WCAF website: www.wcafshow.com